You can keep up to date with our latest news by clicking the RSS feed link on the left hand side of this page
Lone fisherman rescued by Porthdinllaen lifeboat
A fisherman who had ventured out of Trefor beach in a rowing boat has been rescued by Porthdinllaen RNLI lifeboat.
The gentleman, who was on holiday in the area, had set out of Trefor beach in the morning, for a day's fishing off the local pier. By early afternoon, the weather had deteriorated, and with a force six easterly wind and swell building up, the fisherman contacted Holyhead Coastguard to request help.
Porthdinllaen RNLI all-weather lifeboat, the John D Spicer was lauched at 1.15 pm to search for the missing fisherman. Contact was made with the fisherman, and by working on the information given to them, the volunteer crew began the search. Within 25 minutes of launching, the lifeboat had located the fisherman and he was taken on board the lifeboat and, along with his dinghy, was taken back to Trefor Harbour.
Ken Fitzpatrick, Launch Operations Manager at Porthdinllaen said, 'It is important that whnever anybody sets out to sea, that they inform someone ashore of their intentions and what time they intend to return. Everyone who sets out to sea, for their own safety, should wear a lifejacket, have means of calling for help should they find themselves in any danger, their distress kit should include red distress flares, a basic marine VHF radio and ensure that everyone on board knows how to use them. Basic checks such as weather forecast and tide times are essential The crew did a fantastic job considering the poor visibility hampering the search and strong wind blowing the casualty further out to sea.'
- Young Welsh volunteer to officially open new RNLI All-Weather Lifeboat Centre
- Well Done Caryl!
- SUPPORT SEICLÔN 2015 / CEFNOGWCH SEICLÔN 2015
- A Very Special Visit
- Porthdinllaen RNLI Launch To Sinking Fishing Boat
- A wonderful day for RNLI Porthdinllaen
- Top Award For RNLI Porthdinllaen
- Triple Celebration For Porthdinllaen Lifeboat
- TV Series Wins Award
- Completion of new boathouse makes for a cracking Easter for Porthdinllaen RNLI
- Dawn's Next Challenge
- RIP Gareth 'Pod' Jones
- Final push for fundraising appeal
- Fill Your Boots
- Rotary Club Fundraising Event
- Bam Nuttall Image Achieves Accolade
- Bywyd ar fwrdd bad achub
- Lights, Camera, Launch
- £100K Appeal Launch
- Charity Walk