You can keep up to date with our latest news by clicking the RSS feed link on the left hand side of this page
Top Award For RNLI Porthdinllaen
Saturday 18th October: RNLI Porthdinllaen Lifeboat Station was the venue for this year’s Tom Pryce Memorial Trophy and Automotive Achievement Award conferred on behalf of WMW by Her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant for Gwynedd, Edmund S Bailey.
The Tom Pryce Memorial Trophy, awarded on the 150th Anniversary of the founding of the RNLI station at Porthdinllaen, marks the culmination of a multi-million pound investment in a new lifeboat together with a new boathouse and launch slip-way.
Coxswain Michael Davies said: “On behalf of RNLI Porthdinllaen I am delighted to receive the Tom Pryce Memorial Trophy for 2014. Over the past two years RNLI has invested £11m at Porthdinllaen with a new ‘state of the art’ boathouse and slipway together with the latest Tamar Class all-weather lifeboat - a key strategic component in the RNLI’s rescue service for the coast of North-West Wales. The vessel’s two Caterpillar C18 marine Diesel engines which produce up to 1,001hp each at 2,300 rpm, allow for a range of 250 nautical miles and a maximum speed of 25 knots”.
About the Awards –
The Tom Pryce Memorial Trophy (from 1996) commemorates Wales’ greatest racing driver. A fire marshal ran into his path at the 1977 South African Grand Prix and both were killed. The crystal glass trophy is awarded to a Welsh man or woman for an outstanding contribution in the world of transport: Land, Sea or Air. It can also go to an undertaking or body with a special relationship to Wales or its automotive sector.
1. Lord Lieutenant Presents Tom Pryce Memorial Trophy to RNLI Porthdinllaen Lifeboat
From L to R: Huw Thomas (WMW Chairman); Michael Davies (Coxswain, Porthdinllaen Lifeboat); Edmund S Bailey (HM Lord Lieutenant for Gwynedd)
Photo– Andrew Charman
2. L to R – Ken Jones (Pentraeth Group); Edmund S Bailey (HM Lord Lieutenant for Gwynedd); Terry Davies (WMW President); Group Captain Peter Cracroft RAF (Station Commander, RAF Valley); Huw Thomas (WMW Chairman); Michael Davies (Porthdinllaen Lifeboat)
Photo– Liam Bird
Article written by Huw Thomas
Welsh Motoring Writers
T – 01477 537 671
- Triple Celebration For Porthdinllaen Lifeboat
- TV Series Wins Award
- Completion of new boathouse makes for a cracking Easter for Porthdinllaen RNLI
- Dawn's Next Challenge
- RIP Gareth 'Pod' Jones
- Final push for fundraising appeal
- Fill Your Boots
- Rotary Club Fundraising Event
- Bam Nuttall Image Achieves Accolade
- Bywyd ar fwrdd bad achub
- Lights, Camera, Launch
- £100K Appeal Launch
- Charity Walk
- Fancy a dip?
- Work begins on £6.6M new boathouse for Porthdinllaen RNLI
- New Porthdinllaen volunteers complete vital RNLI training
- North Wales RNLI lifeboats respond to two dramatic incidents over the weekend
- Video of Hetty's Departure
- Farewell Hetty
- Welcome John D Spicer