Porthdinllaen Lifeboat

Gorsaf Bad Achub Porthdinllaen

Latest Shout

14th August 2016

At 10.55am Holyhead Coastguard requested that Porthdinllaen RNLI lifeboat should launch to assist a broken down pleasure craft.

The 20ft Bayliner type craft, called the Blue Moon, had two people on board and had suffered mechanical failure approximately 10 miles North of Porthdinllaen Point.
The Blue Moon, which had set off earlier in the morning from Portdinorwig for a leisurely fishing trip, had suffered a drive coupling failure on their inboard engine which was not repairable at sea. Weather conditions were sunny with calm seas and only a slight breeze.
Upon arrival, the volunteer lifeboat crew from Porthdinllaen passed over a tow line to the Blue Moon and upon arrival at Porthdinllaen Bay, the boat was placed on a safe mooring.
The lifeboat then returned to the boathouse and was refuelled and ready for service at 12.45pm.
Ken Fitzpatrick, Lifeboat Operations Manager at Porthdinllaen RNLI, said: 'The Blue Moon suffered an unavoidable breakdown due to the failure of the engine drive coupling and the only option was to request a tow back to Porthdinllaen.'

North Wales RNLI lifeboats respond to two dramatic incidents over the weekend

RNLI lifeboats from Porthdinllaen and Abersoch were launched to two separate incidents on Saturday and Sunday.

Abersoch’s volunteer crew helped rescue three people from a sinking 17ft powerboat. Porthdinllaen’s all-weather lifeboat was launched to a Mayday call after two kayakers got into difficulty.

Abersoch’s Atlantic 75 RNLI lifeboat was launched just after 5pm on Saturday following reports of a boat rapidly taking on water in Abersoch Bay. Three people were onboard.  The location given was very vague and a search was instigated, which also involved rescue helicopter 122 from RAF Valley.

The volunteer RNLI crew from Abersoch arrived to find only two foot of the boat’s bow sticking out of the water. The three casualties were in the water.

Twrog Jones, RNLI Lifeboat Press Officer for Abersoch says: ‘The two adults and teenager had been in the water approximately 10 minutes and were wearing buoyancy aids. All three were taken on board the lifeboat where their condition was assessed.’

The winchman from the helicopter also helped to determine the condition of the three, who were slightly cold but not requiring medical attention.  They were taken ashore and the RNLI crew returned to the scene to attach a buoy to the sinking vessel to alert shipping in the area to the potential hazard.

Twrog added: ‘Praise must be given to the RNLI shore crew who did a thorough job taking care of the three once they had returned to station. They were brought into a warm boathouse, given towels, blankets and hot drinks.’

On Sunday, Porthdinllaen’s new Tamar class lifeboat was launched after two kayakers issued a Mayday. The two male kayakers who had set off from Aberdaron Bay were two miles offshore. They were unable to make any headway due to deteriorating weather.

The British Warship HMS Tyne was also responding to the Mayday call and making headway towards the kayakers when the RNLI lifeboat arrived.

RNLI Lifeboat Press Officer Dylan Parry Thomas says:

‘The two men in their 30s had done exactly the right thing by lashing their kayaks together and calling for help. They were carrying a VHF radio which they used alert the Coastguard to their predicament. The RNLI advises people to always check the weather and tides before setting out.’


Danielle Rush
RNLI Public Relations Manager at St Asaph.

We have 35 guests and no members online