Porthdinllaen Lifeboat

Gorsaf Bad Achub Porthdinllaen

Latest Shout

14th August 2016

At 10.55am Holyhead Coastguard requested that Porthdinllaen RNLI lifeboat should launch to assist a broken down pleasure craft.

The 20ft Bayliner type craft, called the Blue Moon, had two people on board and had suffered mechanical failure approximately 10 miles North of Porthdinllaen Point.
The Blue Moon, which had set off earlier in the morning from Portdinorwig for a leisurely fishing trip, had suffered a drive coupling failure on their inboard engine which was not repairable at sea. Weather conditions were sunny with calm seas and only a slight breeze.
Upon arrival, the volunteer lifeboat crew from Porthdinllaen passed over a tow line to the Blue Moon and upon arrival at Porthdinllaen Bay, the boat was placed on a safe mooring.
The lifeboat then returned to the boathouse and was refuelled and ready for service at 12.45pm.
Ken Fitzpatrick, Lifeboat Operations Manager at Porthdinllaen RNLI, said: 'The Blue Moon suffered an unavoidable breakdown due to the failure of the engine drive coupling and the only option was to request a tow back to Porthdinllaen.'

Porthdinllaen RNLI Launch To Sinking Fishing Boat

Porthdinllaen RNLI volunteers were requested by the Coastguard to launch the Tamar class lifeboat John D Spicer at 10:24pm last night to a sinking fishing boat off Bardsey Island.

The fishing boat, with four people on board, was quickly taking on water six miles south-west off Bardsey Island.  The lifeboat crew launched the all-weather lifeboat in force 6-7 winds, quickly making their way through big swells and rough seas towards the sinking vessel.

As the volunteers were making their way to the scene the fishing boat had drifted and was now two miles north of the small island. When the fishermen reported the incident the boat’s pumps were coping but the crew soon realised that they would be safer abandoning their vessel into a liferaft as they waited for help to arrive.  The RAF from Valley was also called to assist in the rescue and the fishermen were being winched to the rescue helicopter as Porthdinllaen lifeboat crew arrived on scene.

Once safely in the helicopter the fishermen were taken to hospital.  The fishing boat had taken on too much water to be saved and Porthdinllaen RNLI volunteers stood by as a safety precaution as they waited for the fishing boat to sink.  By 12:35am the fishing boat had sunk and the lifeboat crew made their way back to station, returning at 1:45am.  The volunteers recovered the Tamar and prepared the lifeboat for the next service before returning home to their beds ready for work this morning.

We have 25 guests and no members online